Stirring mental waters until new islands of awakening start emerging is not for those prepared to explore familiar landscapes. Ultimately, you are not here to follow old rules. You are here to craft a whole new game.
A new game begins with learning to look at things from a fresh perspective and asking new questions. To put it shortly, it all begins with allowing your creativity to find you. Courting it, inviting it to join you on your journey of artistic transformation and self-discovery. Always keep in mind that the most powerful you are when you create for yourself first, without wondering who will approve of your work or benefit from your insights.
So here is a selection of questions designed to help you awake the creative rebel in you. Contemplate them. Ask them out aloud. Write them down in your journal. Then listen and follow the lead.
- Where would I start if I'd have to achieve the impossible with nothing?
- What does my library of secret dreams and desires contain?
- How could I share my learning process or quantum-leap transformation with others?
- Or, if I'd be my only audience ever, how far would I go? How bold would I be in my self-expression?
- If I feel blocked, what is the cost of continuing to live in this way?
- What if I'd just show up on the page/in the studio/on the canvas and use it rest creatively? No strings attached. No commitments made. I just am and I just do.
- In what way could I combine existing or already mastered skills/subjects/objects/styles in order to synthesize something fresh?
- Am I playing too safely when I am creating and expressing myself?
- What new risks could I take in order to expand my creative comfort zone?
- What can I do to regain my curiosity, if I feel very little interests me nowadays?
- Do I still believe in just 'playing' as a child?
- Can I come up with a new thought? Something I've not thought of (for a long time)?
- What stupid unwritten rules am I still complying with instead of starting my own game?
- What is my own definition of original art? Write it down. Share it. Embody it.
- This page will continue to be updated regularly, as I keep looking for empowering questions to boost your creative insight. Feel free to mail me your suggestions or leave them as comments in the section below. Anyone is welcome to contribute.
You might also like: What Drives Me To Create, How Much Do You Really Care?, That Velvet Space, Notes To Self, Notes To Self -2, Notes To Self-3, The Artists, On Self-Expression, On Desire, On Doing and Being